There’s one thing that the quintessentially American dream of your own home surrounded by a white picket fence fails to mention. That, of course, is the fact that the white picket fence won’t stay pristine for long. The wood is subject to rotting over the years thanks to the elements and attacks from insects, and the white paint — like any paint on any exterior surface — will need to be renewed every few years to stay looking crisp and — well, white!
Cut Maintenance Chores on That White Picket Fence
Now imagine that same picket fence is made of vinyl, impervious to attacks by insects and needing only a good wash every now and then to keep it looking fresh and crisp. That’s one of the perks offered by a vinyl fence. It’s low maintenance, yet looks every bit as charming and quaint as its wooden predecessor!
Although it’s possible for a vinyl fence — even a white one — to get dirty, cleaning is as easy as a bucket of warm water, a little dish detergent, a garden hose, and a little of your time.
Contrast that with the need to scrape, sand and paint or re-stain and weatherproof a traditional wooden fence and the choice becomes a no-brainer! Obviously, you’ll never find yourself sanding, stripping or laboring to that extent over a vinyl fence, and vinyl fences are available in realistic wood-grained finishes as well as classic white or natural, weathered-looking grays.
Benefits of Vinyl Fencing
Aside from the obvious low-maintenance perk of choosing a vinyl fence over a wooden one, are several not-so-obvious benefits …
- longevity – Vinyl fences last a long time precisely because they’re not susceptible to being eaten by insects or rotted by moisture. A vinyl fence is durable, resisting cracking, chipping, peeling and blistering, plus damage from wood-loving insects — all the things that can turn a beautiful fence into a high-maintenance eyesore over the years.
- safety – If you have little ones, you’ll love the fact that you don’t have to worry about digging splinters out of the fingers of curious children.
- fire-resistance – Vinyl fencing is fire-resistant, and vinyl is considered “self-extinguishing”, making it one less thing to worry about if there’s a grass or brush fire nearby.
- variety – Choose from a variety of colors, shapes, toppers, heights and styles to get the fence that fits your personal style — and your lifestyle — to a tee.
- ease of installation – Vinyl fencing tends to go up easily, thanks to prefabricated materials designed to slide into place and fit together. There’s no cutting boards or hauling heavy materials involved. In fact, the hardest part of the whole project is measuring for and digging post holes!
When you add it all up, it’s hard to deny that you’ll get more bang for your buck, as the saying goes, with a vinyl fence, whether it’s a charming little picket fence style, a 6-foot high privacy fence, or a vinyl chain-link fence. Any way you look at it, you’re getting the style you want without the headaches of caring for a wood fence.
Of course, if you happen to be a purist, and only wood will do, by all means go with wood. Try to spend the extra money on cedar, though, if you do choose wood, since it’ll resist insects and rotting longer than most other wooden fencing materials. Even cedar, though, will eventually succumb to time and the elements and will require a good chunk of your time, energy and money to keep looking like the fence that you originally installed.
Check out the latest options in vinyl fencing at Security Fence & Construction in Minneapolis. We’re a family-owned business that’s been providing quality fences of all types to homes and businesses in the area since 1972! Contact us today for a free estimate.